Saturday 26 January 2019

The Hand of Friendship






A friend was destashing before she moved to chillier climes, and giving away some beautifully prepared fleeces to our group. I picked up 1 big and 1 small bag.

This alpaca is from the small bag.













The fleece was delightful to spin, soft and silky.
As it was a fine fleece I spun it extra fine. Barely enough to fill 1/3 of a bobbin, wasn't worth trying to divide for 2 ply, so I Navajo / chain plied it.













It really was a very small amount, This was the entire amount in one itsy bitsy squishy ball












And what to make?
The yarn was so soft, so smooth, that I could wear it on my skin. However I didn't think there would be enough for the size of scarf or shawl that I like.
As I have arthritis in my fingers (and other places 😕) I have made a few fingerless mitts but none just right for our mild winters.




I did have a start of an idea from a magazine knit pattern but it just wasn't working. And then I started designing my own using a knit stitch I saw in passing. Still not working. No stitch definition.

I really liked the idea of the lace part of the sttich though, so I adapted it by taking out 3 rows and flipping a purl row to a knit row. Worked a treat!











I knit from arm up to thumb, cast off a few stitches, then knit up to knuckles. Keeping yarn attached I crocheted the seam all the way down and then crocheted dc in each stitch around the wrist. Three rows of *dc, fpdc,* to complete.

The result is an open lacy fabric that keeps my joints warm but not overheat. The wrist length will tuck into long sleeves. The knuckle length enables me to crochet or knit

Every time I'll wear them I can think of her and her love of cold ⛄









No comments:

Post a Comment